Blue Grotto

Advertisements
Comino

The Blue Grotto (MalteseTaħt il-Ħnejja) refers to a number of sea caverns on the south east coast of Malta, a short distance off the fishermen’s harbour of Wied iż-Żurrieq limits of Qrendi, Malta

Wied iz-Zurrieq, the blue grotto and neighboring caves, are all located within the Qrendi village confines, as per Local Council Act 1993 and a 1910 legal dispute between the villages of Qrendi and Zurrieq over their jurisdiction, ruled in favour of Qrendi.

Both the Wied iz-Zurrieq harbor and Blue Grotto caves are located on the coastline right opposite to the small uninhabited islet of Filfla.[1] The island now serves as a bird sanctuary.

The location of the caves, combined with the rays of sunlight, lead to the seawater mirroring and showing numerous shades of blue on the cave walls and ceilings.

Several caverns also mirror the brilliant phosphorescent colours of the underwater flora and fauna, whilst other caverns show a deep dark shade of blue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Grotto_(Malta)